11/13/2006

WNHL???

I just read this article about the women hockey players wanting to start the WNHL. I can honestly say I don't think it would work...I could be wrong but thats what I think. I've watched some women hockey during the Olympics and I end up changing the channel after a few minutes because it gets boring. Now maybe with some rule changes, I might watch. Lets say they allow bodychecking...that would add some appeal to the game otherwise its just like watching 9 yr olds play. The problem is that its not my 9 yr old playing so I don't feel like watching crappy hockey, especially paying $$ to watch.

The main thing that women's hockey is lacking is a superstar and diverse players. We all know the league would be all Canadian & American players. Not that theres anything terribly wrong with it but I would get sick of it pretty quick...I mean theres only so much Hayley Wickenheiser I can handle. Lets face it, women's hockey is Canada/USA...Sweden & Finland are in the beginning stages of the development of women's hockey but nowhere close. So that makes me believe that there would only be 4 teams or a lot of teams which results in shitty hockey.

I'm going to end this shortly because it feels like I'm rambling.

I would have said that a WNHL was a good idea if Cassie Campbell was still an active player but since she has moved on, I say it will fail. She could have led the whole thing. She had endorsements like crazy and possibly the most well known player. She's currently on HNIC and was the first woman to do colour commentary on HNIC. Maybe if she was paid lots of money she would do it.




No comments: