4/26/2007

Yzerman retirement

Well...I thought I would share with everyone my Steve Yzerman retirement memorabilia that I've collected. I now feel that I am content with his retirement.

All of this stuff was purchased off of eBay haha....I love it.




First off...I have the official program from Joe Louis arena, which is limited edition and numbered out of 30,000. Also, a retirement night puck and replica banner with his stats on the back.





Next up...the official retirement night hat... **cough** I have 3




Next up...the official retirement night jersey worn by the players. It has the retirement night patch in top right corner.




Next up...the retirement night Miller Lite beer cups...I have a sleeve of 25.


AND NOW..... the best Yzerman thing I own......




I've met Steve Yzerman a few times in my life. This was on the night of the first time I met him...I was in Grade 5 haha. Acid wash jeans!!...cool hey?

So...when I first met him...he signed everything I had. He talked to me for about 5-10 minutes about me and my hockey. He let me ask dumb questions. I ended up giving him my hockey jersey and signed it. I told him to hold onto it because I'd be in the NHL with him one day. Whether he actually kept it or not...he told me at that point that it was the best thing he was ever given. I talked to him a few times after that...he remembered me. I remember after I had my "career ending injury" when I was 16...I was on crutches and I told him that I probably wouldn't recover enough to make it. Yzerman told me that hockey isn't everything and to focus on school. So..I'll stop now and I'll stop blogging about him haha. I believe he is the greatest hockey player, on and off the ice.

There is a long story of behind all of this...I knew Brad McCrimmon's Aunt (retired NHL'er played for the Wings at the time)...so she would take me to the games and take me downstairs after.

4 comments:

Kathy said...

I almost didn't recognize you without the goatee!!

My question is....are you planning on using up those cups?

diana said...

i like how twice you described the thing you bought and then said how much of the same thing you have. that's quite the collection you have. nice work matt.

Swedish Sensation said...

My plan is to save at least 2 for "collection" purposes. Other than that...I'm going to use them because its cool to drink out of an Yzerman cup.

Unknown said...

Any items for sale?